Warlock guidelines

Viledead

On request....only looking at raid bosses (not heroics or trash). Only doing affliction - destro is /rollface and demo dps was nerfed to the ground baby!

Note: if anything has changed in the past few weeks, I'm out of date.

2nd Note - because this is for bash, I make jokes. Good jokes.

3rd Note - this is poorly written, scattered, and potentially incomplete.

Here's the thing for Aff - the dps of this spec is balanced around using soulswap. Use it. Same for Destro with Bane of Havoc. Also, aff is a great spec to ease healer load in 10 mans - especially if you time a haunt refresh with lifetap. Destro is for wannabee mages or people who want the easy top dps spec..:)

Seriously though, bind that soul swap and that key should be getting rubbed out faster than bash watching anime.

Affliction:

pet: succ (glyphed) (note: last i read felhunter will be the pet in 4.1 after massive buff)

if you're group totally sucks at interrupts or you need to help with it, get the felhunter out and glyph it. I'm looking at you, cho'gall.

Single target: open with Bane of Doom, UA, Corr, Haunt, Sbolt spam. Drain life spam is an option too - but lag-dependent because it's channeled. Refresh dots BEFORE they fall off!! Cast haunt on CD more or less.

Bane of agony if you are soul swapping constantly. The dps diff between doom and agony isn't that huge, but there is a small increase with doom single target (less gcds/min).

Demon soul basically on cooldown, ideally with any trinkets.

Drain soul at 25%, stopping after a tick to refresh haunt and bane. If you don't have a cast bar addon like quartz, well just accept you will do passable but never exceptional dps and stop reading. :)

Dark intent - put it on a resto druid if you know he's going to be barely ahead of you on the healing meters. For dps, boomkins, shadowpriests, fire mages, survival hunters, feral druids and others are all great choices.

AoE is Seed of Corruption. soulburn it if you can.

Shadowflame is a dps increase: cast on CD if in range. Use on adds definitely if you can. Glyph it if your raid is having problems slowing stuff (what, another wipe because adds are out of control?!?!). Never move for shadowflame unless you have to for other reasons or can move closer (ie cho'gall) when recasting instant dots our soulswap.

Aff tips:

Aff isn't as mobile as people think - only 2 dots can be instant cast, rest need cast time. Possible to refresh UA/haunt on Atramedes in air phase though (though UA should be fine as you'll be throwing out fel flames as you run around).

If you are moving and dots are up, fel flame!!! Bind it - it's also the difference in lock dps (ie when collapsing or spreading out). Never use fel flame to intentionally refresh UA)

Al'akir is annoying for haunt, especially when your raid leader puts you in different positions. Sometimes haunt can take 10 seconds to land!! Basically, the cooldown is up BEFORE it even lands.

fights like maloriak where there are adds, soulburn: seed of corruption. Save soulburn for it. Regen shards when needed off an add with drain soul. In that pug I was in a couple weeks ago, it's why I was 25k dps, and the other lock was 15k (well that and smart use of soul swap).

Soul swap: use it, correctly. Valiona - soulswap your dots to the one in the air!! This is the trick why i do 20k on that fight and everyone else is 12-15. When soulswapping, use agony. Magmaw- soulswap right before the head comes down, that way your dots are all up right away, and are still ticking on the body.

If you have nothing else to use soulburn for, might as well soulfire, drain life (ie chimaeron), or even healthstone when you have fail healers like phobia. hahaha

Always put up some curse! Know your raid comp, put up the one that makes most sense.

Don't forget about your portal. Use it when it makes sense - best example is right in front if al'akir, you can do some hilarious things with it to time wind burst against the tornadoes.

You'll have fear glyph on because you had to cc some crap in heroics - get rid of it for raids you lazy cheap bastard!

To summarize - honestly the differences between a 13-15k lock and 20k+ lock are: (actually this goes for most)

- thinking about what to cast next - always be casting. Always.

- letting dots drop off before refresh

- not knowing how to maximize dps on trash

- slow computer or server lag

- not fully understanding a fight and how to maximize your classes abilities in each phase or situation

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this now - odd usually i get an email. This was back when the succ was the best aff pet. I had to use felhunter for cho-gall to help with interrupts.

Thats what.

the what was addressed to "glyph it"